Since becoming a stay at home Mom, I have become obsessed with packing school lunches, planning kid's parties and organizing my home.
It's not normal...I KNOW!

Tuesday 19 August 2014

Getting 'School Ready'

There can be a lot of anxiety surrounding getting your child ready to start school in September.  When Miss 5 started JK last year, I nearly had a nervous break down in August.  Although she and I were excited, there were so many unknowns.  I became obsessed with finding the perfect backpack, lunch containers, food ideas, labels etc. because it was the only thing I had control over.  It was the one thing I could do to help her day at school be a good one.  I am a bit of a control freak, so the thought of dropping her off at 'big school', not knowing what she would be doing, who her teacher was, what time she would have lunch, when she would have recess, when she would have snack, or if any of her friends would be in her class, kind of freaked me out!  Up until then, I had chosen all of her programs.  I had chosen her daycare and I was able to spy on her in her preschool setting via secured webcam for goodness sake!  But, bringing my then Miss 4 to the large elementary school doors and waving her off into the 'unknown' on her first day of school became a little bit more tolerable, because I knew that I had packed her one hell of a good lunch!!

Here are a few things that I purchased to help make packing lunches a little easier.  Miss 5's school requires a litter-less lunch.  No wrappers or garbage.  So investing in some good quality containers is key.  Remember they that your child needs to be able to open everything independently.


  • A Bento-style lunch box from Easy Lunch Boxes...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this container.  It was super easy to pack, prepare food ahead of time, and easy for Miss 5 to open.  They are also dishwasher safe.
  • Silicone cupcake liners (from Bulk Barn) to divide the Easy Lunch Box container even more and make it pretty!
  • Drink Thermos if you are planning to send milk or juice.
  • Food Thermos if your child doesn't each sandwiches and has been spoiled by a hot lunched at daycare up until now, like mine!
  • Reusable Ziplock bags. These ones are 'Lunchskins' brand from Target, are dishwasher safe and close by velcro.  Great for snacks and the environment! 
  • Large cookie cutter to cut sandwiches into fun shapes...not sure why but kids get a big kick out of this.
  • Divided snack container.  I love, love, loved these too!  Miss 5 had a really late lunch last year, so I always gave her a 'big' morning snack.  I was able to pack a fruit or veg and snack in the same container.  Miss 5 knew which container to eat from first and the locking lid was easy for her to open.  I found these ones at Solutions.


  • Ice packs to keep lunch boxes and drinks cold.  I found these ones at the Superstore.
  • Indoor shoes, Large Ziplock bag with a change of clothes, extra undies and socks, sunscreen, hand sanitizer and a good quality lunch bag that will fit your 'Easy Lunch Box' container.  
  • As you know, I love my labels.  I used Mable's Labels to label everything Miss 5 is taking to school.  Thanks to a good friend, I stole her idea to order the labels with our last name only so when Miss 3 is ready for school, she can use them too!
  • Lastly, invest in a good quality backpack.  Miss 5 went through 3 last year.  She had a very crowed cubby area, especially in the winter, and the shoulder straps riped... twice.
Happy packing!!!

   
 


No comments:

Post a Comment