Since becoming a stay at home Mom, I have become obsessed with packing school lunches, planning kid's parties and organizing my home.
It's not normal...I KNOW!

Sunday 24 August 2014

Miss 5's Fabulous 5 (favourite lunches)

Miss 5 is going into SK this year.  Last year was quite the learning curve to figure out what to pack for her for lunch.  She was used to hot lunches at daycare, didn't really like sandwiches (although would eat most sandwich ingredients if it was deconstructed), had a classroom with nut and egg allergies (eggs being her most favourite food), and of course the constant battle of her 'ever-changing' taste buds!  I wanted to be sure to pack enough food for her, but not too much that she would get discouraged.  By about June, I had it all figured out!


I am not a nutritionist or food expert, just a Real Mom trying to pack 'mainly healthy' lunches.  If I see another 'back-to-school lunch packing post' on facebook with various salads as a 'kid-friendly' options, I think I may scream.  I mean what real kid eats salad?  Unless it is Caesar Salad...which is actually just lettuce with dressing people!

Miss 5 is not a sandwich lover.  Nor does she love dips or sauces.  If I would agree to feed her a vegetarian raw food diet (with the exception of bacon), I believe she would be very happy. 

Here are Miss 5's Fabulous 5 (favourite lunches) from last year.



Top Left: Banana Sushi - Whole grain wrap, spread with no-nut butter (or alternative), roll around a whole banana and slice into 'sushi' pieces.  Sometimes I put in kid-friendly chopsticks for Miss 5 to use!
Top Right: Snacky Lunch - Cheese and Crackers, veggies/fruit and dip, ham rolls...any healthy snack-type foods.  Small amounts of a variety of foods that your child can 'pick' at.
Middle: Quesadilla - cheese, peppers, chopped chicken folded in a wrap and oven baked.  Miss 5 is not a sauce or dip lover, but salsa for dipping is Miss 3's favourite.
Bottom Left: Pancakes.  We sometimes have pancakes on Sundays.  If there are leftovers, which there always are, freeze them and pull a few out for a quick lunch.  They can be defrosted in the toaster or microwave.  Miss 5 likes hers cut into 'fingers' for easy dipping.  The same can be done with French Toast or Waffles.
Bottom Right:  Egg Muffins.  These are an absolute favourite in my house.  Shortly after school started, Miss 5 could not bring them due to classroom allergies, but I am sure she would have if she could.  Cut 3 wraps into quarters.  Press the pieces down into a greased muffin tin.  Mix eggs (5) with milk as if making scrambled eggs.  Fill 'cups' 2/3 full with egg mixture,  Sprinkle with shredded cheese, peppers, ham, whatever you like.  Bake at 350 for 15min or until eggs are set and edges of wraps are crispy.  Store in fridge and reheat in oven for lunches...yummy! 
More yummy ideas coming your way soon.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment