Since becoming a stay at home Mom, I have become obsessed with packing school lunches, planning kid's parties and organizing my home.
It's not normal...I KNOW!

Sunday 28 September 2014

Miss 3's Farm Themed Birthday Party (Barnyard Bash)

When Miss 3 turned 2 she was obsessed with animals, specifically sheep and ducks.  She use to carry around that little toy sheep that comes with the Fischer Price red barn.  She use to put it in the baby stroller and stroll it around the house.  She use to take it everywhere with her.  It was difficult to think of a theme for her second birthday because she didn't talk a whole lot and she wasn't into any T.V. shows or movies like her older sister.  But she loved that little Baa Baa...

So I went with that and decided to throw her a 'farm themed' birthday party.

I considered having at a farm...but Miss 3's birthday is in May and the weather can be so unpredictable...that would just give me anxiety.  Plus, I wasn't so sure about the farm smell while eating...or the mud...if you haven't guessed, I am also just a bit of a neat freak.  Ok, Ok, I'm obsessed with cleaning too.

Then I tried to find an mobile petting zoo with 'farm-ish' type animals instead of lizards and creepy crawling things.  No luck there.

So I decided on the local Community Seniors Centre...ok it sounds bad...but it was nice.  Let me just clarify...it wasn't a Nursing home, it was a Senior's Community Centre...not sure if that makes it any better?!  It was clean, bright and there was lots of space for the kids to participate in all of the activities.  Plus it was very reasonable to rent.  All I had to do was take this empty room designed for senior's social functions and turn it into a farm...no problem...I love a challenge!

The Food ~

Kid Friendly 'Milk Jugs'; create your own with chalk marker and chalk board label.

Pigs in a Blanket; hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls

Tractor Wheels; sandwich roll platter. Fruit Platter labelled 'Miss 3's Garden'.

Chicken Fingers, Carrot and Cucumber Sticks in a berry basket.

The cake; Farm Animal Cake Pops and a Red Barn 'blow-out' cake.



Checked Table Cloths and Munchies; Gummie Berries, Annie's Cheese Bunny Crackers and Ritz Cheese and Cracker Sandwiches (wheels).  I also used large apple baskets for chips and popcorn.

 
Loot Bags ~
 
I set up a 'Pick-Your-Own' loot bag table for our guests' loot bags.  I provided paper shopping bags, farm stickers, rubber ducks, pigs and cows with googly eyes that popped out when you squeeze them, red and white lollipops, and farm themed board books, picture books and colouring books.  The kids had a blast picking an item from each basket that they wanted to take home with them.
 
 


 


 
 
 
Decorations ~
 
Unfortunately I forgot to snap a close-up of these super cute pompom animals that I made.  But these are the designs I followed.  I bought the pom poms at my local party store and cut out the face pieces using construction paper.  They turned out great!
 





 
 
Activities ~
 
Cotton Ball Sheep (paper plate, cotton balls, cut out face, googly eyes), paint a wooden horse (Michael's pre-cut wood ornaments and paint), a toy table full of all of the farm toys, puzzles books etc. that I could find in my house. 
 
We also hired some musical entertainment.  He came with his guitar and performed the very best version of Old MacDonald I have ever heard...lol!  No seriously, he was great.  The kids loved using the instruments and dancing around.  But the best part of the party was when our entertainer asked if there were any requests.  We went through all the usual songs...ABCD, Twinkle Twinkle, Row Row Row Your Boat.  My nephew who was 5 at the time, was practically bursting with his hand up.  Finally he got chosen.   'Do you know I'm Sexy and I Know It'?  Well we all just about died of laughter.  I had tears rolling down my face.  The entertainer's response was 'Well...Umm...you start, and I'll see if I can follow!'.  It was the highlight of the party!
 




 
 
All of the kids came decked out in their best cowboy/cowgirl gear...plaid, denim, overalls, hats, boots, pigtails and holsters!!!  It was a darn toot'n good time.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment