Since becoming a stay at home Mom, I have become obsessed with packing school lunches, planning kid's parties and organizing my home.
It's not normal...I KNOW!

Monday 15 September 2014

Miss 5's Fairy Tea Party

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE planning kids parties.  I had no idea that this secret obsession was hiding within me, until I had kids!  I love EVERYTHING about it.  The lists...the researching of new ideas...the food planning...the loot bag ideas, especially the loot bags...EVERYTHING.  The more detail, the more meticulous the task, the more I love it.  Ok, so we have established that I have issues...this might be by far my biggest problem.  My kid's parties consume my every waking thought for the months of May, June and July.  Who am I kidding...I've already been thinking about their next party themes!

I had a blast putting together a Fairy Tea Party for Miss. 5 this year.  This was the first year we had a 'drop-off' party with a few of her school friends.  I was a little nervous, but it all went well.


Activities:
We have a small home so I decided to set up 'stations' throughout the house.  This helped the kids to come in, get settled into an activity (and feel comfortable) and most importantly spread out throughout the house.

Decorate Fairy Wings - I bought one pair of fairy wings for each child to decorate (Target).  Then I got a whole bunch of sparkly stickers for the kids to decorate them with (Dollar Store).  Most of them wore them for the whole party.  Too Cute.

Make Edible Fairy Wands - I made Rice Krispie Squares, but cut them out with a star shaped cookie cutter.  I bought extra large lollipop sticks (Michael's) and stuck one in each one to make a fairy wand.  The kids had a blast decorating them with icing and treats.


Freeze Dance - We played a game of Freeze Dance with some added fairy rules.  If the 'Snow Fairy' touched you with her wand you had to freeze until 'Tinkerbell' came around a sprinkled you with (pretend) pixie dust.  Then you could start dancing again.  Each child had a turn to be one of the fairies.

Pin the Wand on Tinkerbell - I used one of our dress up wands and a poster of Tinkerbell to make our own pin-the-tail...I mean wand on Tinkerbell.

Face Painter - I hired a face painter to paint beautiful designs on the children's faces if they wanted.

 
Tea Party - For lunch we had an outdoor tea party.  I set up some large tables and used a variety of cake stands to display the food.  The fairies drank iced tea in little plastic tea cups, since it was the middle of summer!
 
Food:

Naan Pizzas - President's Choice Mini Naan circles as the crust, sauce, cheese and pepperoni.

Fairy Bread - Sandwich bread with butter (or peanut butter like My Mom use to do) and sprinkles. I cut them into fingers.

Fairy Fruit Wands - Grapes and a star cut melon on a skewer.

Sandwich Sushi Rolls - Sandwich bread with cream cheese and a long slice of cucumber and carrot.  Roll and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.  Store in fridge for a few hours and slice into 'sushi rolls'.

We also had Chicken Nuggets, Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumbers and Baby Carrots.

Cake - the cake was Tinkerbell's House (a teapot) and her Fairy Friends (a set I picked up at the Disney Store).
 
         

Loot Bag - Along with their Fairy Wings and Rice Krispie Wands, I made up little fairy jars.  I used a mason jar decorated with a fabric flower and paper tag (Michael's).  Inside was a fairy (standing up by sticking it to the bottom with a glue dot), a kid friendly nail polish, a lollipop, a Tinkerbell marker with rolling stamp (Party City).  I got the idea for the jar from the movie 'Tinkerbell and the Great Fairy Rescue' (Miss 5's favourite), when Tinkerbell gets trapped by a human in a jar.


P.S. *My thoughts on Loot Bags*....
Can you keep a secret???  I usually throw out my kids' loot bags when we get back from parties.  What a waste.  I am not a fan of loot bags with a bunch of little cheap things in them.  Especially if it is one of those pre-made-generic loot bags.  I really can't stand all of those little things floating around the house that never get played with.  But shhh...don't tell the girls...or the Mom's that gave them to us!  One of the best loot bags we ever got was a couple of books.  The books matched the theme of the party and we still read them all of the time.  A very useful gift.  Plus, it kept the girls quiet in the car on the way home from the party, looking at their new books, bonus!  I love the one significant item loot bags, vs. the bag-o-cheap-mismatched-break-the-next-day-choking-hazard-don't-have-a-place-for-all-of-the-pieces loot bags.



More kids party ideas to come!


4 comments: